Improving Discharge Process
As a member of the Society of Hospital Medicine's ‘BOOST’ (Better Outcomes for Older adults through Safe Transitions), the Divsion of Hospital Medicine continues in it’s efforts to improve the discharge process with the goal of improving patients quality of care are reducing unnecessary readmissions. Michelle Mourad, MD and Ellen Kynoch, RN lead a multidisciplinary team of physicians, nurses, pharmacists, case managers and social workers invested in changing the way patients are prepared for discharge.
Our efforts have included:
1. Implementing teachback on our medicine floors
2. Creating patient centered discharge documentation
3. Setting physician expectations for multidisciplinary rounds
4. Implementing a timely and relevant electronic discharge summary to be completed on the day of discharge
5. Creating a post-discharge hotline for patients and their families to call after discharge
6. Implementing a 72 hour follow-up phone call program to troubleshoot post-discharge issues
*The link to "Meetings and Progress Updates" is only accessible by DHM members and other UCSF staff involved in the discharge improvement project. Please log in with your email login and password. If you need access, please contact Kat Li.